A week of cycling in the Landes
What if your holidays rhymed with cycling? We have put together a great itinerary for you in "slow tourism" mode to discover the Landes by bike on the famous Vélodyssée, which runs along the Silver Coast from North to South. All aboard!
DAY 1: A DAY IN BISCARROSSE, BETWEEN BEACH AND LAKES
For this first day in Biscarrosse, the "capital of hydra-aviation" offers you very different atmospheres. You can choose between the Cazaux and Sanguinet lakes, the Biscarrosse-Parentis lake and Biscarrosse-Plage.
- Things to see and do: swimming, surfing and bodyboarding at Biscarrosse-Plage, a visit to the seaplane museum, accrobranche at Bisc'Aventure, or swimming with the children on Maguide beach on the banks of the northern lake of Biscarrosse. Good to know: a cycle track links Biscarrosse-plage to the North lake (Maguide).
DAY 2: BISCARROSSE-PLAGE/ MIMIZAN - 56 KM
A beautiful escape by bike from Biscarrosse-plage to Parentis-en-Born, along the lakes, the small lakeside ports and the Landes forest. The next stage of your cycling tour takes you to Mimizan, the leading seaside resort on the Landes coast, nicknamed "The Pearl of the Silver Coast".
- Things to see and do: the Roland Portalier bullring and the Saint-Pierre de Parentis church, the lake beach, the forest, the marshes and the Piaou port of Sainte-Eulalie-en-Born, the flower-filled village of Saint-Paul-en-Born, and the Priory Museum of Mimizan.
DAY 3: MIMIZAN/LÉON - 48 KM
A full day of cycling to discover the wild beauty of the Landes coast on a shaded cycle path under the pine trees. Along the Atlantic coast, the most secret beaches of the Landes are revealed to you: Lespecier in Mimizan, the Grande Plage de Contis in Saint-Julien-en-Born, the Cap de l'Homy in Lit-et-Mixe. From Lake Léon, discover one of the natural jewels of the Landes: the Huchet current.
- Things to see and do: climbing the Contis lighthouse, canoeing down the current, a surfing session at Cap de l'Homy, a hike on the greenway that links Contis-Plage to the village of Léon, a boat trip with the boatmen of the Courant d'Huchet.
DAY 4: STOPOVER IN MESSANGES AND VIEUX BOUCAU
During this long journey by bike, you will surely like to take a breather, lift your nose from the handlebars and rest your calves. In Messanges, our 5-star campsite Le Vieux Port offers the best welcome to tourists on bikes. To recharge your batteries, a multitude of activities are available to you: yoga on the beach, nature bathing in the forest, wellness and relaxation at the spa...
- To see and do: the marine lake of Port d'Albret, the market of Vieux-Boucau, the Adrénaline park in Moliets, without forgetting the sardinades and the Landes races in summer.
DAY 5: VIEUX BOUCAU/CAPBRETON - 20 KM
Between Vieux-Boucau and Capbreton, the route becomes more hilly along the greenway. On this route, you will cross Seignosse-Ocean and the very lively Pénon district before arriving in Hossegor. A few pedal strokes will take you to Capbreton, a resourceful and lively resort in the Landes.
- Things to see and do: the Plage des Bourdaines in Seignosse (the resort's somewhat hidden spot!), the Basque-Landes style villas on the Hossegor lake, the Capbreton fishing port, its fish market and the pier built by Emperor Napoleon III.
DAY 6 : RETURN TO THE STARTING POINT
No, you are not going to repeat the journey in the opposite direction: reach Labenne station by bike (6 km). On board the TER, your bicycle travels free of charge, suspended or placed in a space provided for this purpose. Please note that the number of places is limited and subject to conditions. More information.
Your journey is over, and you will have covered almost 150 km without realising it! To plan your cycling tour in the Landes in more detail, visit the official website of the Vélodysée: www.lavelodyssee.com
You might be interested in this news
We don't always think about it, but camping holidays can be organised. Starting with your suitcase! And packing at the last minute is the best way to forget the essentials. So here's a little checklist of the essentials to pack (or not!) for your holiday in the Landes!
The camper's first challenge: travel light!
Very often, we tend to take too many clothes when we go on holiday. The aim is to avoid unnecessary clutter, starting with your wardrobe. Forget the superfluous! If necessary, you can go to the campsite launderette to run a machine.
Are you planning to go canoeing in the Landes during your holidays? The team of the campsite Le Vieux Port has tested for you the descent of "La Palue" by canoe, to the lake of Léon. Let us take you on a little adventure in the heart of the Landes forest!
In the Landes, the parks and gardens will soon reopen their doors to the public, and with them, the possibility of (finally) reconnecting with nature...
At a time when the need to get some fresh air is felt more than ever, parks and gardens offer a calm and green setting to give free rein to our desire to stroll and escape. Here is a small selection of places not to be missed to get some fresh air, enjoy nature and go green in the Landes.
Spend a day discovering the old town of Bordeaux, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and then climb the famous Dune du Pilat, the jewel in the crown of the Arcachon Basin.